Welcome to IBU! We have compiled all the useful information you will need as you begin your journey as an international student.
Based on the most frequently asked questions, we have summarized the most important information by topic. Learn about our intakes and admissions processes. Once you’ve been accepted, prepare for your trip. All the information on this page is important so read carefully. We have listed some tips on health insurance but also go into detail about finances, culture, entertainment, and food. Many of our international students ask about the rules for working in Canada. Therefore, we have also compiled a list of student job conditions for you.
We will keep updating this article, but if you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact us – our Student Success Team is always happy to help.


IBU Calendar

As a first step, check our calendar to plan your travel dates.
Important Dates at International Business University

IBU International Student Handbook

Then we recommend downloading the “IBU International Student Handbook”.
It contains all the necessary information to help you prepare for your trip.
Click to download

Step One

Learn about our program start dates. If you need a study permit, make sure you check processing times from your country so you can plan ahead.

-Semesters (September. January and May)
–Check processing times
-Eligibility Check
-Receive your Pre-offer

Step Two

Been accepted into our program? Here’s what to do next

-Pay your deposit
-Receive your LOA
-Apply for a study permit
-Important Dates at International Business University


What are the most important documents for an international student in Canada?
  • Letter of admission or invitation from International Business University
  • Driver’s license or other forms of photo ID
  • Travel health insurance plan
  • Travel documents and passport
  • Copies (physical and virtual) of your photo identification, tickets, health insurance, etc.
  • Copy of your medical records with allergy and immunization information, especially if you have any previous medical concerns or a pre-existing medical condition
  • Please photocopy all of your official documents and keep them separate from the originals so that if you lose your passport or other documents, you will have copies in organizing a replacement. We also recommend that you keep copies of your documents at home (in case something is lost, it is much easier to replace them this way).
  • When traveling, it is advised that your passport be valid for at least 6 months.
    Before leaving, it is worth making sure your documents are still valid because getting a new one abroad can take some time.
How much money does an international student need in Canada?

It is advisable to have at least $200.00 in cash in Canadian currency and immediate access to about $500.00 – $1000.00 CAD to cover initial expenses upon arrival in the country. Check with your bank (or online financial service provider) before you leave to ensure that your debit and credit cards will work in Canada, as this is often the easiest and cheapest way to access your funds and withdraw cash.
For more information on how to access money in Canada, check out our section on Money, Banking, and Finances.

Prescription & medication tips for international students

Visit your doctor at home for a checkup before your travel.
Make sure you pack:

  • An extra pair of glasses or contact lenses, and a copy of your prescription for your glasses/contact lenses.
  • Medication – Prescription or Over-the-counter (if you are taking any). There can be restrictions on the type and quantity of medicine you are allowed to bring into the country. Please review information on the Government of Canada’s website: Bringing health products into Canada for personal use for more information.
  • A one- or two-page document that summarizes your medical history (blood type, past health issues and treatments, and current health issues and treatments). This way, both you and relevant medical providers will have access to the data vital for your treatment.
Items you can not bring to Canada

When entering Canada, Canadian Customs allows personal items such as clothing, books, toiletries, etc. to be brought into the country. However, there are restrictions on some items.
Before you leave, make sure you review what items you can and cannot bring across Canadian borders on the Canada Border Service Agency website Restricted and prohibited goods .




Health Insurance

As an international student enrolled in a full-time degree program at International Business University, you must have mandatory health insurance prior to starting your classes. At IBU, you have access to health coverage through guard.me
guard.me offers a comprehensive health insurance plan that covers all registered international students at International Business University. This insurance policy provides coverage for emergency medical services. To know more, please contact Student Support Services on campus.

Medical Emergencies

In the event of a serious medical emergency, such as a heart attack, stroke, broken limb, or other life-threatening injuries, call 911.

Hospitals near  80 Bloor St West Campus
St. Michael’s Hospital
30 Bond Street
Toronto, ON M5B 1W8
The emergency entrance is located at the corner of Victoria St. and Shuter St.
Mount Sinai Hospital
600 University Avenue
Toronto, ON M5G 1X5
The hospital is located on the west side of University Ave at Gerrard St.
Toronto General Hospital
190 Elizabeth Street
Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
The emergency entrance is located east of University Ave. on Gerrard St.

Hospitals near  700 Lawrence Ave W Campus

SunnyBrook Hospital

North York General Hospital


What you need to know about sports and teams in Canada is here. Your guide to Toronto’s professional sports: https://www.destinationtoronto.com/things-to-do/attractions/professional-sports/

Arts & Culture

Toronto is the largest city in Canada and one of the most diverse locations in the world. It is home to a wide range of museums, theatres, festivals, communities, and organizations. There is something for everyone here – if you know where to look. Here are some resources to help you get started. However, make sure you do your own research! There is so much that the city has to offer.

Useful Links

City of Toronto: History, Art & Culture
City of Toronto: Festivals & Events,
A Guide to Toronto’s Arts, Culture and Entertainment
Eventbrite Toronto
Toronto’s Thriving Live Music & Concert Scene
Toronto Theatre
Toronto Film Festivals
Bloor St. Culture Corridor
Gardiner Museum

Outdoor Activities

If you are interested in outdoor activities (e.g., cycling, swimming, camping, skiing, hiking, nature walks, etc.) or just want to be outside, there are many options available in the city and province. Here are some resources to get you started:

Useful Links

Ontario Nature
Ontario Trails
City of Toronto – Parks, Gardens & Beaches
Outdoors & Recreation Toronto
Parks Canada
Ontario Parks


Toronto has a truly diverse population, which is reflected in its cuisine. There are many different culinary experiences you can have. Here are some links for you:

Useful Links

Foodism Toronto
CBC Food Guide – Suresh Doss
Farmers Markets Ontario
Kensington Market
St. Lawrence Market
Food festivals


City of Toronto Transit

Toronto city’s public transit system, Toronto Transit Commission or TTC
Buses, subways, and streetcars are all part of the citywide public transportation network that is run by the TTC.
If you have a disability, you can learn about the accessibility features in the TTC system on the Easier access on the TTC website.
The TTC also offers Wheel-Trans, which is a para-transit service that provides safe and accessible transit options specifically for persons with disabilities.
You can book your trip  either online or by phone.
The easiest way to use the TTC is by purchasing a Presto Card, external link. However, you can also purchase individual passes, or pay with cash.


As an international student, there are opportunities for work in Canada. Use the section below to determine what work rules you need to follow and the type of work opportunities that are available to you while pursuing your studies.

Eligibility to Work On/Off-Campus

Full-time international students enrolled in a post-secondary program at a Designated Learning Institution may work on or off-campus without a work permit if they meet all the following conditions:

  • You have a valid study permit;
  • You have already started to study in your program;
  • You have obtained a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • You have met the conditions on your study permit that confirms on- and off-campus work eligibility;
  • You are enrolled in a program for more than six months, which leads to a degree or diploma.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You require a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is a nine-digit number, to work in Canada or to be eligible for government benefits and programs. It is also used to file taxes, however, certain students can also get an Individual Tax Number (ITN) instead.
A SIN can only be assigned to one individual, and no other person is permitted to use it. You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Do not carry your SIN around with you; instead, save any documents containing it and other personal information in a secure location.
For more information, visit the Service Canada website.

Who is eligible to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit to apply for a SIN:

  • “May work 20 hours per week off campus or full time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in paragraph 186(v)  of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations”
  • “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria, per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w)  and must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”
  • “May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies”

Post Graduation Work Permit

post-graduation work permit  (PGWP) is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada as a worker and work full-time for up to three years after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution.
Since applicants are only eligible for the PGWP once in their lifetime, we suggest you speak with an international student advisor to determine the best time to apply if you intend to continue your education in Canada. To be eligible, you must have maintained full-time student status during each session of your program(s) of study with a duration of at least 8 months. To see full eligibility details including those who do not qualify, visit the IRCC website.

When to apply for your PGWP

You must complete all requirements of your degree program before you can apply for your Post-Graduation Work Permit. This means that you cannot apply during your final semester.
If you are applying within 180 days (approximately 6 months) of completing your program of study, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • You have held a valid study permit within the 180-day period and applied for visitor status before your study permit became invalid.
  • You have applied for the restoration of temporary resident status.


International Business University wants all international students to feel welcome and comfortable in their new homes.
IBU will support you in finding off-campus accommodation with other students or on your own.
You should have your accommodation arranged before arrival, which means all required fees are paid and you have received confirmation.

IBU partners with an off-campus housing service options below.
These extensive real-time databases will help you find vacancies located near IBU campuses.
Listings include photos, contact information and property features.
All accommodations include, at a minimum:

  • a furnished room with a window
  • a bed with clean linen (sheets, pillow, and blankets)
  • Private storage for your belongings (such as a chest of drawers or a closet)
  • access to a shared/private bathroom with your own clean towels
  • a quiet place to study, usually in your own room

IBU Housing Partnerships


Parker Residence at 200 Redpath Avenue, Toronto.

As part of this partnership, we’ve secured two fantastic apartments in the luxurious Parker Residence at 200 Redpath Avenue, Toronto.
These apartments are exclusively allocated for IBU international students to ensure a supportive and culturally enriching living environment tailored to your academic and personal needs.
Here at IBU, supporting our international students is a top priority.
Through our partnership with 4stay, we aim to provide you with all the resources and support you need to thrive both academically and personally during your time with us.
For more details and to explore available housing options, please visit ibuhousing.4stay.com or contact our partner at [email protected] for immediate assistance.

The Dream House

180 downing Avenue

The Dream House offers luxury student accommodations in the heart of Toronto. Each Dream House property is uniquely designed to combine exquisite, fully furnished modern decor with comfort, security and convenience. Live in a beautifully furnished house with other students from around the world, conveniently located in Toronto’s trendiest neighborhoods.
Each room has one bunk bed. Bathroom and kitchen is shared by two people.

Contact: [email protected]
Price: $3,400 per semester / per bed
One semester is 17.3 weeks
January 1 – April 30
May 1 – August 31
September 1 – December 31

Learn more at

Harrington Housing

Harrington Housing offers a unique and upscale co-living experience in the hub of major cities around the world all at less than the market rate. See what Harrington Rent Price Compared to others is.

Canada Homestay Network (CHN)

Canada Homestay Network (CHN) manages homestay accommodations for international students at IBU. Through a CHN homestay, students reside with an approved host and become integrated members of the family and community. Homestays are available for a minimum of one-month period.
IBU students are invited to apply online any time here: https://studentportal.chnonline.ca
or you may link to our website here:
Payment is made directly through CHN.


Places4Students is the proven Off-Campus Housing Listings Resource for over 190 college and university campuses throughout North America.
Tel: 001-1-866-766-0767

Here are a few other websites that provide listings of available rooms or apartments for rent:

Renting in Ontario: Your rights – Read about the laws that protect residential tenants and landlords in Ontario, Canada
Ontario Settlement Services: Housing – Learn about your options and how to find a home that’s right for you
Office of Global Services Canada: Living in Canada – Cost of living estimates for Toronto and Vancouver
Condos.ca– Condo listings
Facebook: Marketplace – A good place to find second-hand furniture and other items for the home
Facebook: Toronto Home Zone – Facebook group for listing/finding homes
Kijiji – Search for private rentals
PadMapper – Find apartments to rent in Toronto
Rentals.ca – Rental property listings
RentFaster.ca – Rental property listings
RentSeeker.ca – Rental property listings
TorontoRentals.com – Rental property listings
Viewit – Rental property listings
Walk Score – Search for apartments based on walkability
Zumper – Rental property listings

Please note:

It is important for you to do your due diligence and choose the service provider that is right for your needs – whether from this list or beyond. IBU assumes no responsibility for off-campus leases, agreements and the quality services provided by these organizations.

Still have questions about how to enroll or next steps? We’d be happy to connect with you.
Here’s how you can reach us.